Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Life

It's 11:14am. The sun is shining through our living room glass doors, and I am holding my 10 day old son, Logan, against my chest while he sleeps. This seems to be his preferred sleeping position, as once he snuggles up against me he doesn't move (as opposed to basinet sleeping where the poor baby sleeps for 1/2 an hour max at this point. Looking forward to longer sleeping patterns in his bed).

Logan was born on Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 6:47pm. He was 7 lbs 11oz and 20 1/2 inches long. Very healthy, very strong. Very sweet. Thus far, he's been an easy baby to take care of! Once he's fed, changed, and slept, he's incredibly docile and observant. I think he's going to be a smart one :-) He looks around and takes it all in. He reminds me of his dad for that reason---definitely an observer. It's a great quality really. Mom, however, doesn't always take the time to observe before leaping, so my boys bring me balance. haha.

Logan is pacified by singing. He doesn't like getting his diaper changed all that much. Mark that---he doesn't like having a dirty diaper, but the process of fixing it isn't always pleasant. However, if mommy and daddy sing to him while we change him, he calms down and lets us proceed with our work. This past week, I have sung "Jesus loves me" more times than I can count, but it's been a beautiful reminder to myself that when I am weak, He is strong.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Zephaniah 3:17 which says, "The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One will save. He rejoice over you with gladness. He will rejoice over you with singing." That verse comforted me through several difficult years in late high school/early college. However, this last week has brought a whole new dimension to the beauty of that verse. Logan is pacified by his mom and dad singing over him. Likewise, our Heavenly Father rejoices over US and sings over US when we are fussy. Often, I can hardly get through a song to Logan before my eyes well up with tears of joy and gratitude for this little man, and I am amazed to think that God delights in His children that way---no, infinitely more so! How beautiful and precious.

Having only been a parent for 10 days now, I am already amazed at what a different perspective it affords of our loving creator. I consider the cross, and wonder how God was able to give up his only son for us. The thought of Logan experiencing pain is terrifying, bringing a whole new perspective to the beauty of Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

In more ordinary terms, this week was full of feedings and changings, and that's pretty much it. Eat, poop, sleep, repeat. Daddy has had more unfortunate floods on his shirt than mom. I think it's a dominance issue. haha. I, however, got pooped on last night, and am getting used to dried spit up on my shirts.

We're embarking on a whole new adventure. It's a calling, and I am both thrilled and absolutely dependent upon the Lord for strength and guidance. Little sleep and learning to die to myself for the health of my son are real struggles. I cannot imagine what this would be like if I were alone. Adam is amazing. He is such a natural father---involved, sensitive, in tune with Logan's and mommy's needs, and eager to meet them. I am so blessed to have a husband like that. He's my hero.

Well, looks like it's time for little man to get some more food. More updates to come.

Love,
the Bodines

No comments: