Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Power of Perspective

I was grocery shopping yesterday during a relatively busy time of day. There were several people ahead of me in the check-out line, and I didn’t have my son with me, so I was actually able to hear what people around me were saying. I began hearing the cashier yell over his shoulder to his co-worker that he only had 20 minutes until he was free. As he continued to work and “serve” the customers in his lane, he mentioned his imminent “freedom” several times. My instinctive thought was, “How unprofessional and rude. Someone should tell his manager that customers feel more burdensome than authentically served.” Compassion settled in, realizing that the cashier was probably only 16 or 17 years old. When it was my turn to be checked out, I asked the young man how he was doing. “Good….better in 20 minutes when I’m out of here” was his reply. Rather than correct him, or “teach him from my infinite professional wisdom” I simply responded with, “I understand. Well, hey. You have the opportunity to serve people and make their days a little brighter, so even the next 20 minutes can be good.” The young man looked surprised---not offended, but like a light bulb went off. He cocked his head to one side, and simply said, “You know, I’ve never thought of it that way before. I guess you’re right!” Maybe we all just need a little perspective to truly enjoy the moments that create days, that create years, that create legacies. Are we truly delving into what is before us?

No comments: