Wednesday, April 21, 2010

God Must Be Proud

It is 6:16am. Logan and I are up for "first breakfast." I don't remember when I brought him into the living room. I think it was around 3, but my most coherent memory is waking up in the chair in our living room with Logan snuggled against my chest. I had to have been half asleep when I moved from the bedroom to the living room. Bizarre.

Logan will be six weeks old this Saturday. Wow. Six weeks ago today, I was still able to sleep past 5:30am. I'm used to it now though. It's so beautiful to see his personality starting to come out. He loves observing things. He loves looking at lights, and bright colors. He has started playing with Adam and I---kicking his arms and legs, and we've even gotten a few solid smiles out of him! Each day, I love that I have the privilege of watching him grow. I can't imagine letting this happen in a day care and missing it! It's so precious to be a part of this little man's growth! I love interacting with him. He's my little buddy :-) And I'm so proud of him. Every milestone that he reaches, every growth spurt, every new skill that he learns, I celebrate.

That got me thinking. Surely God, as the perfect Father, does the same with us. We are His children, and surely He celebrates our growth. He loves us unconditionally---ransomed by the blood of Jesus, and free of the Law----yet He grows us into His perfect image. He must be so pleased by His children's development.

I'm learning so much more about God now that I am a parent. I figured that I would, but it really is neat.

I decided to read the book of Judges. I've never read the entire book! I am amazed at God's perfect paternity. He gave Israel clear standards of right and wrong. As a Father, He had to allow consequences when Israel crossed the line. Yet, every time that Israel called out to Him, He rescued them. As parents, Adam and I will do our best to show Logan what is right and what is wrong. Inevitably, there will be times when Logan will choose wrong, even when the right decision is clear. Adam and I will have to allow consequences. We will have to allow Logan to suffer pain and difficulties as a result of his choices---not because we enjoy watching him squirm, but because he will have to learn why right is right, and wrong is wrong. But when he looks to us and says, "I need help. I was wrong," we will be right there to love him, and get him back on the right track.

I'm loving this. It's the most challenging calling I've ever been given. I can't have what I want, when I want it anymore. My six week old son dictates when I can read, when I can eat, when I can enjoy a cup of coffee, how long I can be out and about to run errands...I'm having to die to myself like no other time in my life. But I love it. It's so worth it to see him smile back at me.

1 comment:

Ruthie B said...

This is beautiful!