Friday, April 09, 2010

Sometimes all you can do is laugh

Yesterday was quite the interesting day. Logan and I got up and met my mom and my aunt for a final shopping venture before they headed back to Tennessee. It was wonderful having them here. I love them both so much, and miss them terribly.

We figured out that my stroller isn't broken after all--simply a user-malfunction! haha. All this time I had been trying to attach the carrier into the stroller incorrectly, and I thought that a part was missing. While in Toys R Us, I had the notion to look at the strollers there, and aha! Saw my blunder. I was very excited to use my stroller for the first time :-) No more hauling the carrier everywhere! I have wheels!

Throughout the day, I could tell that Logan didn't feel well. He was fussy, and kept scrunching his little legs up to his belly. My mom bought infant gas drops, so I gave him the recommended dose. Within one hour, my son pooped 3 times. I'm not talking small diapers either. I'm talking, "Did that just come out of my 9 pound baby, can't even wrap the diaper up" kind of diapers. By the way, no one ever tells you that baby poop can shoot out across the changing table. Yeah. That happened. While I was cleaning up, Logan started spitting up and coughing, so I moved to the other end of his body to assist him and clean THAT up. While cleaning up the spit up, a stream started flying past my face. That's right. In a single changing session, I got pooped on, spit up on, and peed on. Awesome.

Within the following 30 minutes, Logan spit up everything he had eaten. I presume it was everything because it was several heaves, and projectile spit up going all over me, the couch, the floor, and the coffee table. Poor kid. What a rough afternoon! I text messaged Adam to keep him on alert that if this kept up, I was taking Logan to the doctor. Fortunately, after the next feeding, Logan kept everything down and was just fine. Just a little "blip" in the day.

Fast forward a few hours. Adam was at work until 9. I was home alone, and news flashes kept coming over the television that we were under a tornado watch. The meteorologist showed several tornadic events taking place in southern Virginia, and showed the path of the storm--moving our way. About 7:30, *beep*beep*beep*, "Campbell county is under tornado warning. Take cover..." yada yada yada. Little known fact about adult Haley---I have always been terrified of severe storms. I enjoy good summer storms with rolling thunder, but tornados, hail, wind, lighting, sharp/loud thunder...no way. I used to hide out in closets and dark hallways as a kid with my walkman turned up as loud as possible playing "The Lion King" soundtrack. As an adult, my feelings aren't too different. I've just gotten better at keeping myself composed. So back to last night. It's really rather comical. I took blankets, pillows, my cell phone, a bottle of milk for Logan, his diaper bag, his bouncer, and a pacifier into our interior bathroom to set up camp. There we were---my 1 month old son and I, camped out in a bathroom for 20 or 30 minutes, and no tornado. I mean, I guess I'd rather play it safe than sorry, but it really is entertaining now that I look back on it.

All of that to say that sometimes all you can do is laugh, and enjoy the ride. We are all doing well, and learning to adapt to this new life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like quite a day! You're doing great at motherhood, Haley.