Friday, April 16, 2010

Is it Thursday? Wait, no...Tuesday? Oh! It's Friday!

My days all blur together! It's Friday, but it feels like Thursday, and I can't remember what happened on Tuesday because Tuesday felt like Monday, Wednesday felt like it didn't happen, etc. etc. I'm not used to not being on a schedule. It's getting easier though.

I've been reading a phenomenal book called "The 4:8 Principle" by Tommy Newberry. I highly recommend it. The book is based on Philippians 4:8 which says, "Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy---meditate on these things." The book is about joy being within our grasp, not as a result of changed circumstances, but as a result of changed thinking. Far too often in my lifetime, I (like most) have been a slave to my emotions. If I FEEL negatively, life stinks and there is nothing I can do about it, except complain and FEEL. However, this book challenges that notion. What if joy has nothing to do with circumstances, but has everything to do with right thinking? God has given us permission to be joyful! He has given us freedom, and the power of His spirit to be full of joy, regardless of what is happening! But it takes our effort to meditate on the right things. We are what we think upon!

It is a mental exercise for me, to be sure. Waking up each morning saying, "I get to get out of bed," rather than, "I have to get out of bed," but day by day, it is easier. Very similar to physical exercise: the more often you do it, the easier it gets, and the better you feel. My attitude is within my control, and I am called to joy. Beautiful!

Logan is five weeks old tomorrow! He's getting big, and in so many ways I cannot fathom that 6 weeks ago, he was still in my belly! He is developing his own personality, and like his dad, enjoys observing things before engaging in them. He is fascinated by light and color. There is a painting in our dining room that is just abstract color, and he will just sit and look at that painting for minutes upon end. He is also captivated by a little black stereo that we have in our kitchen. Adam has promised to give it to him when he is old enough to appreciate it.

We are slowly but surely settling into a sense of normalcy in our family life. We have fought to meet our family value of having at least one meal together per day at a table, and we believe it is worth the fight. Adam and I are learning how to take advantage of the few free moments that we have at the same time to enjoy each other, connect, laugh, talk, catch up, pray together, and bask in our relationship. Before we ever found out we were pregnant, we decided together that when children did come along, our marriage would be a priority. If our marriage falls apart because we become too busy or distracted, we are doing our children no service at all. Our love for each other is worth the fight to know each other through the years, and with a newborn, it has been a fight. But by God's grace, we are doing it.

Sorry this post has been a little bit of a stream-of-consciousness entry; I'm lucky to be conscious at all! Logan just now settled into a deep nap. It's 3:20pm, and normally he has been sleeping for the last two hours! I'm going to go enjoy the remaining moments of his sleep---quietly.

Thanks for reading. Tune in next time for more ramblings.

3 comments:

C.C. and Double T said...

I love this line that you wrote: "We are what we think upon!" / How true!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book! I'll have to look for it. :]

ELeeds said...

Love you, and love hearing about you daily life and the things you are learning :-)